My Photo
Name:
Location: Wolverton, United Kingdom

Diary Entry Saturday 24/7/15

We were paraded at 11.45pm on Friday night. The battalion marched down to the station. I and the rest of no 4 Platoon were left behind for baggage guard. The Battalion left St Albans about 2am but we did not leave before 3.50am. The first part of the journey I don't remember as I had a good sleep. When I awoke we were just 86 miles from London. We hadn't the faintist idea where we were going. When we got to Bristol some children came around the train (it had stopped for water) and sang to us. They made ??? good ??? too. Our nest stop was Exeter. Here we had a surprise. The mayoress of Exter gave us a bag of eatables and some tea. After 8 1/2 hours riding we arrived at Devonport. We where taken right up to the troop ship. The troop ship is docked by the White Flag pub. The name has been painted over, but from what I can find out it is 'Southland'. We were soon put on board and shown to our cabins. I was lucky and got in a 2nd class. After we had dinner we set to and loaded the ship. We worked in shifts and she was not loaded till late at night. At 10 oclock I went below and settled down for my first nights sleep on a ship.
A card presented to Lionel King from the Mayoress of Exter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home