Diary Entry Thursday 5/8/15
This morning I was detailed for guard again. I only went ashore once to take my kit bag and then only got as far as the quay. We were not allowed in the town. The natives ???? the ship and it was a bit of fun to see them, They always seemed as if they were rowing?. The dock policemen are natives. If any of the natives do anything wrong the policemen take them up to the chief officer who is walking around and they receive one or two slashes across the back with a whip. The natives are dressed very badly, most of them only were a shirt. I can't say much about the women as I only saw one or two + they looked like bundles of rag tied up in the middle. The 5th Batt Essex Regt (who were in docks when we arrived yesterday) left about 5.30pm. We left soon afterwards at 7pm. About 120 men from our battalion were left at Alexandria for some purpose. It looked as if all the old crocks were left. Again we were disappointed at not having time to have a look around. Now I'll try and get a little sleep. The sea seems a bit rougher than it has been. I can see a few fellows being sick.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home