Private Ernie Arthur Phillips

531481 A Company, 1/15th Bn., London Regiment (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service Rifles)
At the beginning of the War Ernie was living at 42 Harecurt Avenue, Mannor Park with his parents Arther and Charllotte Phillips and his sister Mabel.
Below are two letters from Ernie to Lionel during their training:
42 Harecurt Ave,Manor Park,E.Dec 13Dear LionelI was very pleased to hear from you and to receive your book of views and glad to hear you have comfortable 'digs'.I am going to see Wal next Sunday having obtained a free pass. I don't half get the HUMP on Sundays - good job I'm working Saturday nights-eh! I went to the Queens Lineman last and this Sunday.I wrote off for a Billiard Table last Friday and expect it down next Thursday or Friday (6ft 4ins X 3ft 4ins, 2 cues marker etc).So there will be fine fun when "Tommy comes marching home again". Have you obtained Xmas leave? I don't know whether Wal has yet.Well dear boy "Au revoir"Yours sincerely ErniePS Any girls there?PPS Mabel and Mother wish to be remembered. Please excuse writing as I am in ?????.
42 Harcourt Ave.Manor Park.E.22/12/1914Dear Lionel,
I hope you are keeping in the best of health. I went down to see Walter Sunday.Leaving Liverpool Street at 10/0 o.c I arrived in Norwich at 1/39. and Wal met me at the station just after two. Well after having a glass of port & a cake we started out for Costessy Hall a 6 mile walk.
By the time we got there and had a look round it was time to start back for Norwich, have some tea and catch the 6/15 train back to London, which arrived there about 10/30. I had a most enjoyable time there and beautiful weather. Have you leave for Xmas? We have our Billard table up,Yours Ernie
In 1915 Ernie went to Summerset House and enlisted into 'A' Company, 1/15th Bn., London Regiment (Prince of Wales' Own Civil Service Rifles) (531481). As Lionel says in a letter to his mother dated 12th July 1915 "Did I tell you Ernie has joined the Army. He is in some crack lot the, 'Prince of Wales Own Civil Service Rifles'. He has had to have his 'lovely' hair off."

Back: Edgar Bigg, Walter Hay
Front: Ernie Phillips, Lionel King
Sunday 18th July 1915
Ernie was transfered to France and went "Missing in Action" on the 15th September 1916 at Highwood during the Battle of the Somme. Below is a letter from Ernie's mother to Lionel's mother after Ernie was reported missing (The year given in the date on the letter is assumed to be incorrect).
42 Harcourt Ave,
Manor Park
Jan: 18th 1916.
Dear Mrs King
Very many thanks for your nice letter. We are all terribly upset over our dear Ernie, for he was a dear good boy, and was loved by everyone who knew him. I knew all the boys would be upset when they knew, I often wish he had gone out to Egypt with them. We are still hoping that he is taken prisoner, and we shall see his dear face when this terrible war is over.
Again thanking you for your letter.
I Remain Yours Truly Mrs Phillips
Ernie's name is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France (13C).

Ernie's name recorded on the Thiepval Memorial

The Thiepval Memorial
Ernie's name can be found on the left most column.
Sometime after his death his parents moved to 37, Rancliffe Rd, East Ham.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home