My Photo
Name:
Location: Wolverton, United Kingdom

Letter - 5th December 1914

Prt L King
no. 3603
6th Essex Regt
17 Water St
Stamford
Lincoln

Dec 5th 1914

Dear Mother

We arrived quite safe. I am billeted in a very nice house. There is three old ladies + no men. I am with one other chap who is very nice. We had a nice bed to sleep in + a good breakfast this morning. It is lovely country round here + some very old places, churches etc. There will be 1000 solders here when all have arrived. There is the 4th, 6th and 7th Essex + the A.L.C.? + A.M.B.? here with us. The town seems quite full with us. We were 5 hours getting here, it was a rotten journey. We had a good send off from Stratford. We all have to be in by 9.30, we parade outside our billets at 9.15 for roll-call. My mate + I overslept this morning + missed church parade, a good start wasn't it. We saw our Col. Sgnt. + he let us off with a warning. We have a nice park to drill in, it belongs to the Earl of Exeter. We are not far from the park ('we' is the chap I'm living with + myself). I couldn't find Edgar last night, I don't know where he is billeted. I shall have to wait till parade. Tell dad that I shall be living like a lord here. Just like being at home only among strangers. I've only been here a few hours I know, but in that time I have found out that we are welcome to everything, just picture three old ladies sitting by the fire in armchairs, watching us have supper, each waiting to pile us up with bread + cheese + mince pies. That's how we were last night. We have got a bedroom to ourselves + an empty chest drawers for our clothes. I would have sent a telegram last night but the post office was crowded out. I haven't any more to say at present but will write another letter in a day or two when I've seen more of the life.

Love to you, Dad and Fred.
From Lionel

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home